Letter to My Son



My dear Gavin, I am so honored that you are in my life because you have brought so much joy, happiness and purpose to my life over the past 3 years. I’m still working on becoming the women and mother I need to be to mold and shape you into the strong, smart young man that I know you will be one day, thank you for loving me unconditionally anyway. I want so much for you like any mother should; not only do you deserve the best, but you deserve my best.

Now that you are talking, walking, running, jumping and your personality is shaping you’ve made me realize some areas in myself that I need to work on. You’re teaching me more about life than I’ve obviously taught myself. Son, I thank you. One day when your old enough to read this letter and I hope you will not understand, because I would have made the transformation into the woman I hope to be. A woman you can look up to, be proud of, learn from, respect, trust and admire.

I don’t want to fail you son, by being too nice, by letting you get away with things the world won’t allow, by tolerating your misbehavior, because as a black man in this world the odds are against you. So it is my responsibility to buckle down, stand firm, and raise a son who will be able to withstand all of life’s harsh realities, who will understand the true value of hard work, who will embrace education, and who will garner respect and will treat people with respect and the consideration that they deserve.

I can buy you many presents on this day but my ultimate gift to you is to vow to be the mom that you need me to be, so that you can become a great man. Happy 3rd Birthday Son, I love you with all my heart.

1 comments:

Talking with Tami said...

Happy bday to him too cute

Post a Comment