Will You Be My Friend? Circle Yes or No


I’m enjoying being in a new city, I’m just wondering what’s the best way to make new friends as an adult.


Most of my friends I’ve had for years, some for over 20 years and I’m only 27. Your old friends know who you are, they have a little history on you, they know my family etc. When you meet someone new at my age are you suppose to give them a crash course on your life? I don’t want to have to tell my life story to every person I meet, but I do want to make a connection with some ladies in this city. Even if I tell them my back story as a writer, blogger, graphic designer, marketing consultant, former owner of a magazine, from New Jersey but lived in Atlanta for 9 years and San Antonio for 2 years before that; will they be able to identify, respect or understand who I am. Ok, I might be jumping the gun a little, of course I don’t have to tell them all of that at first sight, but that’s who I am, in addition to being a mother and a fiancé.

Being in Atlanta, there are tons of upwardly mobile people, so It was easy to find things in common with these women; unfortunately I have yet to see that same type of entrepreneurial spirit here. Most of the women are heavy into sports, nightclubs, rodeos and racetracks. Don’t get me wrong I can see the excitement in some of that, we went to the horse racetrack on Saturday and I had a great time. But where are my fashionistas, business divas, and savvy mommies at in Baton Rouge?

Thankfully the women that I’ve come across at stores, restaurants, the salon and my fiancés friends wives have all had warm spirits, but after a little small talk I wasn’t sure that we had to much in common. When I tell them I moved here from Atlanta, they look at me like I have 4 heads like “why would you do that” LOL.

I have met a few people on twitter from the area that I recently began socializing with and I’m excited to see how those relationship develop. Outside of that I’m sort of left scratching my head. I know it’s only been a week so help me out do you have any suggestions on how I can make new friends?

2 comments:

Talking with Tami said...

Like my granny NuNu told me: When your young you want all the friends in the world,when you get old you get rid of them lol.

BessieAkuba said...

this is an excellent post. I am in a similiar situation. My Husband in the Military and we were in Hawaii for a year and that was horrible b'cause it was difficulat meeting new people becuase we don't live on the military base. And now we are going to Kansas City for a few months and i dont know how that is going to go cause I dont know a soul. Like you, I am use to the "movers and shakers" here in Atlanta and other major cities so it was easier to meet new people.

Post a Comment