Free Healthcare & Lethal Hot Wings


For as long as I can remember, taxpayers have complained about footing the bill to house inmates in our failing criminal justice system. However, a group of inmates in Florida's Hillsborough County Jail, are footing there own bill from making and selling their own line of hot sauce called JailHouseFire. JailHouseFire hot sauce comes in three flavors: Original, Smoke and No Escape. Handmade by inmates at the minimum-security jail from peppers grown on prison grounds.

Rather than glossing over the product's roots, the prisoners' marketing of the sauce makes the most of its origins, with slogans like "So Lethal" and "Murder on Taste Bud,” I can honestly taste the heat as I’m typing. The prices are slightly higher than the sauce found on your grocery isle, $7 per 5-ounce bottle or $3 for a 1.5-ounce bottle. The sauces are currently available only online; all proceeds support inmate programs.

When I came across this story I was really amazed at this opportunity that’s afforded to inmates. They attend college for free, get free healthcare, free room and board, 3 meals a day and now they can own businesses. For a moment I was feeling like the outsiders are getting the short end of the wing tip, but I much rather my freedom. Never less this is a beneficial pastime for the inmates but somehow I feel slighted as a taxpayer. Checkout www.jailhousefire.org for more info.

0 comments:

Post a Comment